Honor Society emails raise questions for students

By Kaisa Siipola, Reporter

Some students have received honor society invitations in their school email accounts in recognition of obtaining quality grades.  

Dana Elder, an EWU professor and the former director of the University Honors Program, encourages students to research the honor society organization if they receive an invitation.

“Double check to see if it’s a real honor society, there are a number of things out there that are simply for profit,” Elder said. “If you get one of these invitations do what you can on the computer to find out how legitimate it is.”  

Elder also added that it is important to check if the honors society has an active chapter at EWU.

EWU offers three honors society organizations including Phi Eta Sigma, the National Society of Collegiate Scholars at EWU and The National Society of Leadership and Success.

“Phi Eta Sigma is for first-year freshmen who have completed their first two quarters at Eastern (fall and winter) and have earned a cumulative 3.5 GPA at the end of one of those quarters,” Dori Roberts, honors program adviser and coordinator said.

Phi Eta Sigma is a “somewhat active honor society on campus,” according to Elder.

The National Society of Collegiate Scholars at EWU is an honors organization that recognizes and elevates high achievers. NSCS provides career and graduate school connections, leadership and service opportunities, and gives out a million dollars in scholarships annually, according to its profile on OrgSync.

Students may have received an invitation or email from the National Society of Leadership and Success. If a student receives an invitation from the National Society of Leadership and Success, it is legitimate according to EWU Career Center internship coordinator Romeal Watson.

“Yes, yes it’s very legit and I know there has been questions about it,” Watson said.

The National Society of Leadership is dedicated to peer to peer support, community involvement and teaching leadership and success.

Students are selected each quarter to receive an invitation from the National Society of Leadership and Success.

“It’s more of a general search,” Watson said. “They acquire a list through the Eastern’s online database of all the students, and then they send out an invitation to a certain amount of those students for each quarter.”

NSLS has pulled from Banner, a university database, and they have a list of all the students that are enrolled this year, according to Watson.

“Banner is the name of our university database software program that keeps track of our student and employee information,” Watson said. “If we need to know anything about a student, we can look there first.”

Elder emphasized a tip that students can take into consideration when deciding if joining an honor society is worth it.

“If it’s legitimate, if there’s an active chapter here, that’s doing things that will benefit you and that you can contribute to, then that might be a good decision,” Elder said.