CEO chapter established at EWU

CEO: Collegiate Entrepreneurship Organization

news

By Kaisa Siipola, Reporter

EWU seniors  Ryan Halterman and Katherine Bozarth have launched a Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization chapter on campus. For campus purposes the organization will be called the EWU Entrepreneurship Club.

The big thing is that it’s going to be a lot of fun.”

— Bruce Teague, Center for Entrepreneurship Director

EWU Center for Entrepreneurship Director Bruce Teague, along with Halterman and Bozarth, attended the 2018 Global conference in Kansas City last fall.

“The EWU Entrepreneurship Club is a member of CEO global and we are the only chapter in the state of Washington and the only active chapter in the Northwest,” Teague said.

The national Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization was formed at the University of Tampa and is a global club for college students interested in entrepreneurship, according to Teague.

The intention of the club is to maintain a focal theme of entrepreneurship, have a diverse group of students with different majors involved and provide resources for creating and developing business ideas that students may have. It will also provide assistance for students seeking experience in a specific area of business.

“The big thing is that it’s going to be a lot of fun,” Teague said. “There’s going to be a lot of opportunities to learn more about entrepreneurship in a really fun way, whether that is meeting entrepreneurs from our community, guest speakers and fun events.”

There will be many ways for students to get involved in the club from fundraising to leadership positions.

“We are looking for some officer positions to fill and passionate individuals that want to help create this on campus,” Halterman said. “We want to build a leadership group that provides an example for what other leadership groups on campus should be like.”

There will be no membership fees during the first year while the club is still developing.

“We are anticipating a fee for next year but it won’t be absorbent or anything,” Bozarth said.

The Center for Entrepreneurship will be starting a co-curricular certificate in entrepreneurship next fall.

“Any student on campus can start working on, so it’s co-curricular and not an academic certificate,” Teague said.

Teague added that students who are interested in pursuing the co-curricular certificate will have to take one entrepreneurship class.

Teague hopes to develop a points system to keep track of students participation in activities and events, and recognize the student who obtains the most points. After completing the course, students can earn points by participating in activities and events like the entrepreneurship club, the pitch competition and the technology commercialization academy.

Students will be able to provide a legitimate record of involvement with entrepreneurship at EWU and CEO can confirm the completion of the co-curricular certificate.

Teague said he is fortunate to have such a fantastic organization at EWU and to be affiliated with CEO global.

“To be affiliated with all the resources and support and opportunities that come with this organization just takes it to a whole different level,” Teague said.

A kickoff event for the EWU Entrepreneurship club will be on Feb. 8 from 4-6 p.m. in the Nysether Community Room located in the PUB.

Individuals can contact the Center for Entrepreneurship at [email protected] or Ryan Halterman at 509-539-5549 for any questions or to get involved.