Honoring Martin Luther King Jr. through service

The+Martin+Luther+King+Jr.+Memorial+at+the+National+Mall+in+Washington%2C+D.C.+The+Office+of+Community+Engagement+plans+to+honor+King+with+a+day+of+community+service.+

The Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial at the National Mall in Washington, D.C. The Office of Community Engagement plans to honor King with a day of community service.

Courtesy of Scott Ableman

Courtesy of Scott Ableman

Courtesy of Scott Ableman

By Emmaline Sylvester, Reporter

As the day honoring one of the world’s most influential civil rights leaders approaches, a group of 100 EWU students has decided to pay tribute to Martin Luther King Jr. by marching the streets of Spokane and participating in a day full of community service organized by the Office of Community Engagement at EWU.

Martin Luther King Jr. Day, first officially observed in 1968, is held to celebrate his life and achievements.

Brian Davenport, director of Community Engagement, explained that the whole purpose of this day is to honor King’s  legacy. The OOCE is planning on doing that through service and being active community members attending the Unity Rally.

Lauren Estey, EWU junior and an Office Aid for the OOCE, has attended the Unity Rally in the past which is held annually by the MLK center in Spokane with the goal of promoting the values held by King by supporting involvement to build a culturally diverse community.

“It’s really empowering to see all of these community members coming together and supporting each other and supporting our differences,” Estey said.

The Unity Rally is free and open to the public and begins at the Spokane Convention Center on Jan. 21 from 10 a.m. to noon.

“Life’s most persistant and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?’” King declared to his audience in Montgomery, Alabama in 1957. This significant question serves to encourage individuals to reflect on how they can give back.

Inspired by the Corporation for National and Community Service, which wants to encourage citizens to engage in community action to solve social problems, the OOCE wants to make this holiday a day on and not a day off.

After attending the Unity Rally, the OOCE will divide the attending students into six groups to volunteer at various locations in the community. They will put together care kits for a women’s shelter, clean the Meals on Wheels kitchen, help restock shelves at the Habitat for Humanity store and plan science activities for kids at the Mobius Science Center.

“Being part of a community involves giving back,” Davenport said. “We’ve got all kinds of power and privilege as an institution and as college students and it makes sense to use that to make our communities a better place.”

Although signups for the service projects following the rally coordinated by the OOCE have ended, they have upcoming service events posted on their page on Orgsync.•