Volleyball Adds New Assistant Coach to New-Look Program

Courtesy of GoEags.com

By Riley Baker, Staff Reporter

EWU’s head volleyball coach, Michael King, continues to reshape the program he took over in 2015.

In the latest of several moves that King has made this year, he has now added assistant coach Tyler Fenton to his staff. Fenton joins EWU after serving as the head women’s volleyball coach at Treasure Valley Community College in Ontario, Oregon.

“I’m thrilled to have this opportunity at EWU under Coach King and alongside Diana [Villalpando],” Fenton said. “I can already sense the pride in this school and our program and cannot wait to be a part of the success.”

During his time at Treasure Valley, Fenton oversaw nearly the entire program, from recruiting to film breakdown, finances, travel and fundraising. Along with his head coaching job, he also served as director to the Idaho Strike Boy’s Volleyball Club where he handled similar roles.

King said he had several options to choose from to fill the position. But what made Fenton the guy was his passion for coaching and being a student of the game. King was also drawn in by Fenton’s strong recruiting capabilities, having some Northwest ties.

“Tyler is a young guy with a wealth of experience that stems from a strong commitment to learning how to coach our sport,” said King. “I like that he spent four years seasons at Boise State as a student manager and that he has had some head coaching experience at the collegiate level.”

Fenton is a native of Boise, Idaho. He started four years as a setter on the Boise State men’s volleyball team and graduated in 2014 with a degree in information technology management.

King hired assistant coach Diana Villalpando in February and added eight new players to the program in April. This latest hire further enhances the image and the personnel within King’s volleyball program.