EWU beats Cal Poly for seventh straight win

Matthew Pennell

Matthew Pennell

Matthew Pennell

By Riley Baker, Staff Writer

The Eagles won their seventh straight game in their takedown of fourteenth-ranked Cal Poly by a score of 42-21 to improve to 6-0 in conference play.

Wide receiver Cooper Kupp had another big game, hauling in 11 passes for 154 yards and a touchdown. Kupp also completed 2-of-2 passes for 38 yards and two touchdowns in a limited role at quarterback during a pair of unique trick plays up the sleeve of head coach Beau Baldwin.

“Adding a couple of touchdown throws in there was pretty slick,” Baldwin said of Kupp.

Senior quarterback Gage Gubrud completed 27-of-37 passes for 357 yards and four touchdowns while rushing for 40 yards to total 397 yards.

Wide receiver Shaq Hill had 3 touchdowns on seven catches for 93 yards. Kendrick Bourne hauled in a pair of touchdowns on 78 yards.

True freshman running back Antoine Custer Jr. had a career high of 145 all purpose yards; 64 rushing, 39 receiving and 42 yards on a pair of kickoff returns.

Linebacker Miquiyah Zamora had seven tackles to give him 329 in his career, moving him into eighth in school history.

Touchdown receptions from Hill and Bourne in the first half put EWU in a good position at halftime, leading 21-14. The next two scores of the game came in the third quarter in the form of touchdown passes from Kupp to Hill.

A touchdown from Cal Poly cut the Eagle lead to 35-21 but they could not come back from that deficit in the final quarter. EWU shutout Cal Poly in the fourth quarter to eventually win 42-21.

“It’s tough to come down here and win, and our team found a way to grind out a victory,” said Baldwin. “It was even a closer game than it showed on the scoreboard.”

With the season winding down and only two more regular season games left, the number three ranked Eagles remain tied for first place in the Big Sky Conference along with North Dakota, which is currently 7-0.

“We worked so hard in the offseason and every week we try to get better and better,” said defensive back J.J. Njoku. “We’re taking it one game at a time but we definitely have big dreams for this team.”

EWU will return to the Inferno to face Idaho State in their final home game of the regular season on Nov. 12. Senior day will be celebrated as EWU honors its graduating seniors.

“[We are] able to come together, ending up the regular season with two games that are very meaningful to us, and games we need to come out and play our game,” said Kupp. “But to be able to go and walk out there with my friends I’ve been here with is a big deal to me.”

Kickoff will be at 3:35 p.m. and will be broadcast on 700-AM ESPN and can also be watched live on SWX.