Young Democrats of Eastern Washington brings Jay Inslee to EWU

Mia+Manzanares

Mia Manzanares

Mia Manzanares

Mia Manzanares

Mia Manzanares

By Mia Manzanares, Staff Writer

Washington state Gov. Jay Inslee came to EWU to talk to students about the upcoming election. Patterson Hall room 128 was filled with a small intimate group of  EWU students, local community members and faculty. He shook everyone’s hand and introduced himself to each individual in the room.

Election season has passed, which means ballots were turned in and voters decided on what and who to choose to be the next leaders of our country. The Young Democrats of Eastern Washington club (YDEWU) said they know how important voting is for the future.

Gov. Inslee came to EWU for a small and intimate discussion about what he is going to do as governor. He allotted a great deal of time to answer students questions.

To spread the word, The YDEWU club hosted an event in which Gov. Inslee spoke to the group and held a discussion full of questions from the group.

“When young people vote, great things can happen,” Gov. Inslee said when talking to the group about how important it is to vote.

At the beginning of the discussion Gov Inslee mentioned how much courage it takes for students to start their own club.

“We need students to be involved with politics, starting something new takes guts, you’re truly starting something great,” Gov Inslee said while speaking to President of YDEW, Emily Provencio.  

The YDEWU Club has restarted after not being a club since the 2012 election.

“The club has a reputation for fading away after elections and after seniors graduate,” said Sean Comfort, vice president of YDEWU.

Comfort, Provencio and Dan Ritz, a YDEW club member said it is the clubs goal to stay current and to be more involved after the election has passed. They will achieve this goal by having more events in the future and speaking out more and having their voices heard. The club is student-based and has worked hard for the upcoming election.