EWU Art Department faculty members display their original works

"The Kitche Stove" (left) by Jenny Hyde and "Nailed It!" (right) by P. Colin Manikoths

Natasha Nellis

Natasha Nellis

Natasha Nellis

By Natasha Nellis, Chief Copy Editor

Voices bounced off the walls, mingling with laughter and footsteps as faculty, students and community members came to view the opening of the EWU Gallery of Arts Faculty Exhibition.

All of the Art Department faculty members submitted an original work to be displayed in the gallery. Mediums ranged from the classic oil on canvas, such as Professor Barbara Miller’s “After El Greco,” an emotionally expressive piece that seemed to flow beyond the confines of its borders to Professor Jodi Patterson’s “WeFall. WeRise.” sculpture that utilized mop heads, lace and knots to create a three dimensional waterfall of beautiful chaos that seemed to descend from another universe.

Professor Patterson said via email, “I can tell you I believe it is important for our students to witness their professor’s dealing with the same things we ask of them:  to produce, contextualize and share work … Faculty shows introduce another side of my academic life [studio] to students and community — a side they would otherwise get to see from me unless they followed my work outside of school.”

"WeRise. WeFall" by Jodi Patterson

Natasha Nellis
“WeRise. WeFall” by Jodi Patterson

Other pieces included P. Colin Manikoths “Nailed It!” which utilized found images and family photos to create a glaring representation of western society in contrast to third world societies. One photo set showed a man standing next to a shiny helicopter, a proud look upon his face. Below it was an image of young men of a third world country surrounding a wooden helicopter. The piece incited feelings of guilt, sorrow and a little amusement, as between each photo the words ‘Nailed It!’ were printed in big, bold, white lettering creating the impression that each photo was trying to impersonate its counterpart.

“The intent is to showcase work by faculty so that the students at EWU, in particular the art & design majors, can see what the faculty do outside of teaching. Students are often curious about the work of their professors, and the exhibition gives them the opportunity to see faculty work in art & design,” Professor and Gallery Director Nancy Hathaway said via email.

Other pieces included Yaro Shon Neils’ “IV,” Ginelle Hunstrulid’s “From Once it Came,” Mindy Breen’s “Dogku #2,” Travis Masingale’s “Break Me Off a Piece,” Tom Askman’s “Ooh-Mauge to Albino” and “ZZ’’’’’ZZZZZZZZ’’’Z,” both of which feature aspen tree branches with red eyes placed in tree knots, Greg duMonthier’s “It Looks Like it Should Sound Like,” Roger Ralston’s “Footstool,” Jenny Hyde’s “The Kitche Stove,” a piece that is part of a larger exhibit to be shown at Terrain, Elisa Nappa’s “Pools” and “Inside/Outside,” Chris Tyllia’s “Tangled Entropic Mass” and “Coronal Discharge,” Nancy Hathaway’s “3.1415926535897932384” and “3.14159265,” and Margot Cassterens’ “Total Strangers Care About You,” a piece that features collograph printmaking representing clothing that reminds one of the old paper doll clothing except lifesize and so realistic that one feels as though they could pull the piece off the wall, unwrinkle it and tack it on.

The exhibition runs from Nov. 10 to Jan. 12 and is open to the public. The EWU Gallery of Art is open every weekday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.