Don’t miss an opportunity to apply for scholarships, deadline February first

Sutton Hall, the home of Student Financial Services

John Corley For the Easterner

John Corley For the Easterner

John Corley For the Easterner

By John Corley, For The Easterner

EWU students who are interested in tuition assistance for the 2017-18 school year will have the opportunity  to apply for scholarships in a few weeks. Starting November 1, EWU students can apply for the various scholarships through the university. The application deadline is February 1.

According to Kandi Teeters, EWU Associate Director for the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office, the best way to apply is online.

“If you go to ewu.edu/scholarships there is a button on the left hand side that says apply now,” said Teeters. “Once the application is live, you click on apply now and it will lead you to the application.”

Teeters also said that students do not just qualify based on academic performance; the only limiting variable for applying is to be an EWU student pursuing a degree.

“I think sometimes students think that there is no possible way that they’re going to qualify for a scholarship, so they don’t do the application just because they’re not confident in themselves,” said Teeters. “They need to be confident enough in themselves to go ahead and throw your hat in the ring and see if you might possibly receive an award.”

Teeters said that her goal is to get students to apply for all of the scholarships available at EWU. She also says that in general, students should maintain a 2.8 GPA.

“A lot of our donors are [also] very interested in students that give back to their community,” Teeters said.

As far as how much students will receive per quarter from a scholarship, Teeters says that on average they receive about $500, however it can be more than that.

Some departments at the university offer their own scholarships including biology, computer science and history. A full list can be found on EWUs scholarship page. Each department has different dates for when applications are due, so students applying for a departmental scholarship should be aware of them.

There are also programs at EWU that also offer scholarships including athletics, US Army ROTC and Phi Theta Kappa members who are transferring from their community college to EWU with no gap in enrollment.

Leslie Ponce is an EWU Freshman who received the Eastern Advantage Scholarship for her entire four years at the school.

“I depend on it,” Ponce said.

Ponce also said the most challenging part about receiving a scholarship is “the writing process, but at the end it makes you a better student on reaching out.”

While EWU students have the opportunity to apply for scholarships through the university, there are also private scholarships that students can receive.

EWU junior Kevin Escalante has benefitted from a private scholarship through his father’s job.

“I’d recommend [students] asking their parents to see if their company offers any scholarships,” said Escalante. “The Vista Hermosa Foundation scholarship is a private scholarship to only children of the workers there (Broetje Orchards, where his father works).”

Private scholarships have different deadlines than EWUs and can be applied for at theWashBoard.org.