Cheney unites “12” fans when Seahawks visit Roos Field

By Kristi Lucchetta, Arts & Entertainment and Features Editor

Sunday afternoon was an eventful one for the NFL fans of Cheney. Two recently signed players of the Seahawks returned to the once training camp, Roos Field to meet and greet their fans.

With the number 12 flags swinging back and forth throughout the crowd, people came together to see offensive linemen Rees Odhiambo and Germaine Ifedi, along with the marching band, Blue Thunder and the team cheerleaders, the Sea Gals.

Odhiambo was picked from Boise State University and Ifedi was a first-round pick from Texas A&M University.

Another special member of the team came out and visited with fans, Taima the Hawk. Many were overjoyed to see the authentic mascot and were eager to take many pictures with Taima.

Many were dressed in their Seahawks gear and ready to shout their pride for the beloved hometown team as the guests made their appearances on stage. The Seahawks DJ Supa Sam played popular songs to get the crowd up and moving.

The MC was Gee Scott from ESPN Seattle who was accompanied by the official mascot, Blitz. They danced, sang and kept the jokes going throughout the event.

“I’ve been a Seahawks fan since they had their training camp here in Cheney,” said Hawks fan Treaver Stone. “The Seahawks are a great team and us fans love to come out and support them.”

Not only were there performances from the Sea Gals and the Blue Thunder marching band but Ifedi even sang “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star” for the fans, with the push from Scott.

“We have the best fans in the United States.” Odhiambo said. “We enjoy coming out here and seeing their support.”

Ifedi agreed and was appreciative of the “12” fans he recently came to meet.

“These fans are great and they take such pride in being 12’s,” said Ifedi. “We see that no matter what part of Washington we are in.”

Since the big names of the Seahawks were not present, Scott asked the players how it was being on a team with Russell Wilson.

“[Wilson] is a great leader,” said Ifedi. “He’s very precise and it makes you as a player want to step your game up.”

Though the appearances were only an hour, fans enjoyed getting together and showing their support for their hometown team and seeing the fresh new faces of the Seahawks.

“I think it’s great the Seahawks stop in the small town of Cheney,” said Hawks fan Beth Rodriguez. “Even though their training camp isn’t here in Cheney anymore, it’s nice to see them still stop by and remember their old stomping grounds.”

Roos Field was home to the Seahawks training from 1976 to 1996 and again in 1997 to 2006.