EWU star trusts the process

Melanie Flint

By RayJaun Stelly, Contributing Writer

Kendrick Bourne has never looked back since stepping foot on EWU’s campus, despite his good friend and teammate Vernon Adams transferring schools last season.

A stand-out in high school, Bourne earned himself an invitation to play in the Polynesian All-American Bowl in California his senior year. The Oregon native was selected onto the state’s 5A second-team, first team All-Northwest as a receiver and second team All-Northwest as a safety in Oregon as well.

“I chose EWU because when I took my official visit it was one of the best I’ve experienced,” said Bourne. “The coaches were great, food was good as well, there was a positive vibe from the team and from there I knew I was sold.”

Playing as a true freshman in 2013, Bourne was buried on the depth chart, although he managed to finish the season with seven receptions for 117 yards and a touchdown.

The 2014 season came around and Bourne’s time had come to put everybody on notice to who he was. He earned an honorable mention All-Big Sky nod after starting in nine games and finishing the season with 52 receptions for 814 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Losing Adams was a tough loss for the team but Bourne did not lose focus. “I have stuck with this program because the support system our school gives me through football is beyond helpful,” Bourne said. This translated to the field during the Eagles’ 2015 season, where he finished with 73 receptions for 998 yards and eight touchdowns.

“There’s no way I can’t succeed, especially with the help from my teammates, coaches, tutors, friends and teachers. Everybody helps me get through my classes while I major in communications,” Bourne said.

Whether he is lined up on the right or left side of the field, Bourne continues to be a match-up nightmare for the other team. Throughout the Eagles’ three spring games Bourne already has eight receptions for 104 yards and one touchdown.