Men’s track beats Gizzlies

Men’s track beats Gizzlies

By Grace Pohl, staff writer

EWU’s men’s track and field took down the University of Montana with a team score of 53-50 at the 44th Annual Pelluer Invite in Cheney on April 8. Four men qualified for the Big Sky Conference, with a total of eight qualifiers as a team.

“The coaching staff asks a lot [of] the team for our only home meet. This year was no different in expecting individuals to compete in more than one event and/or compete in an event that is not their marquee event,” head coach Stan Kerr said regarding the Pelluer.

Senior Joey Payne threw a personal best for the javelin with a distance of 219-3. His previous best was 206-4. He won the event and now ranks fifth in school history.

Redshirt junior Aaron Cunningham previously qualified for the Big Sky Championships in the shot put but was able to add the discus. His winning mark was 161-7.

Senior Aaron Brenton competed in the 1,500-meter and won the event, even though he usually competes in longer races.

“Eastern had good performances all around,” said Brenton. “It is always cool for the Eagles to perform in front of a home crowd. I am always happy when I am able to run well with my family in the crowd.”

Sophomore Jeremy VanAssche ran a 10.52 in the 100-meter.

Junior Austin Oser participated in the WAR IX at Spokane Falls in the 5,000-meter. “I had a rough day. I have been dealing with a tight calf that really hindered my performance,” said Oser. “I went out with the leaders for the first six laps and then my calf started tightening up and I did not want to risk injuring myself anymore so I pushed as much as I could without feeling any more pain. I am looking forward to bouncing back next weekend in California where I will get another shot to race the 5K.”

The teams will travel to California. Some will participate in the Mt. SAC Relays in Walnut, California, on April 13-16. Others will participate in the Long Beach Invitational in Cerritos, California, on April 15-16.