‘Dirty Grandpa’ lives up to its title

By Joe Matthews, Staff Writer

W ith renowned actor Robert de Niro playing alongside a much more grown up — compared to “High School Musical” — version of Zac Efron, “Dirty Grandpa” provides many laughs, cringes and one-liners equivalent to those from movies such as “Step Brothers” and “Old School.”
Giving us exactly what the title says, an incredibly dirty grandpa, this movie was meant for those who can appreciate crudeness to the extreme, sexism, racism and a bit of men’s genitalia.

Jason Kelly, played by Efron, is a lawyer at his father’s firm, is getting married in just one week and his grandmother just passed away.
With so much going on in his life, the last thing he wants to do is drive his grandpa, who his relationship with is distant, from Georgia to Florida. Having had his license taken away, Dick, played by de Niro, convinces his grandson to drive him.

On the way there Jason and Dick met college students Lenore, played by Aubrey Plaza, and Shadia, played by Zoey Deutch, who are on their way to Daytona for spring break. Lenore, needing the old-man notch on her belt, picked up on Dick’s strong desires for grievance sex and the two threw filthy one-liners back and forth. Wanting to pursue her, Dick convinced Jason to take a detour down to Daytona to meet up with them.

Once there, Jason’s faithfulness to his fiancée and his sanity are pushed to the brink by a girl from his past, a couple stereotypical frat boy jocks and his always horny grandpa.

“Dirty Grandpa” lives up to its name for sure. De Niro and Efron have great chemistry and the supporting cast around them does a fantastic job.

The one who really stole the show was Plaza. Probably best known for her role in “Parks and Recreation,” where she is the always sarcastic misanthrope, Plaza doesn’t hold anything back for this film. Whether she is telling Dick some obscene thing she wants him to do to her or doing drugs half-naked, encircled by gang members, Plaza lets out all the stops for this one.

Overall, some may find the movie over the top when it comes to raunchiness and the amount of unnecessary F-bombs but really the movie was quite funny.

It offers up up hilarious sex humor, loads of drug-using college students and even a couple life lessons, “Dirty Grandpa” is definitely worth a trip to the theaters for those who aren’t offended easily.