Study rooms locked in library

Certain carrels unavailable to undergrads looking to study

By Brad Brown, Contributing Writer

The library provides services for students and faculty alike; however, one service that has raised confusion among students is the individual study rooms labeled “Study Carrel.”

Located throughout the library are nine small, quiet rooms, curiously locked to all students trying to enter. What’s the deal?

These carrels are assigned for single faculty members and graduate students currently preparing their thesis or graduate research projects. Circulation staff member Elizabeth Malia said she assigns the rooms on a quarterly basis and appoints up to three people to each carrel. Available for renewal up to one full academic year, undergraduate students have little to no chance of ever using these rooms.

Carrel policy allows access to these rooms in a descending order of priority. Faculty members get the first opportunity to claim a room. Following them are grad students, who typically fill the remaining spots.

In the rare event rooms go unclaimed, undergraduate students are given the opportunity to apply for a carrel. Room assignments may be issued to undergraduate students with academic-related needs, like research projects requiring many library resources. Undergraduates can be assigned a room for up to one quarter, with no renewals.

“Carrels are intended for research, not just studying, and that’s how faculty use them,” Malia said.

Also located throughout the library are nine additional, single-student carrels open to anyone on a first come, first served basis. “About four years ago, it was decided that because of high demand for study rooms for single patrons, we would open up half of the carrels and make them permanently available,” Malia said.

This meant faculty members who had solo carrels had to double and triple up in order to make nine carrels available just like the other study rooms.

Carrel assignments that are infrequently used may be revoked and assigned to the next person on the waiting list.